Thursday, July 11, 2013

The West End - A Public House


The West End is a great new spot that I discovered while driving down Westheimer one day. So it ended up on the never ending list of places I need to try. They have a huge outdoor patio and open bar that would be great to hang out during one of the few perfect patio days Houston has. Their outside bar is quite large and there is tons of seating. When I went back to check it out, I started out with some "Fall Bubbles" because how can you not love a bubbly cocktail on a hot summer's day. This was prosseco, baked apple bitters, fruitlab jasmine, and a brown sugar cube. You could definitely smell the jasmine and the bubbly brown sugar cube made for a fun presentation. The baked apple bitters helped balance out the floral notes and gave the drink a touch of sweetness. It was a delicious and not something I have seen before.
 
Of course, I had to try the food so I opted for the calamari. This was served with marinara and roasted garlic aioli. (I have no idea why the picture can out red, but I promise it didn't look like that in real life.) To be honest, the calamari wasn't that great as the coating was a bit soggy and some of the pieces were a bit chewy. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice and the dipping sauces were much better than the calamari and saved it from being pretty bad. However, I probably won't be ordering it again. I do like calamari, but I guess I can be pretty picky about it. The coating needs to be crunchy and flavorful. I don't want to be eating all those unhealthy carbs if they don't even taste good.

Sometimes you just need a good dessert to round out a meal and the chocolate truffle cake didn't disappoint! It was drizzled with a raspberry sauce and was rich and decedent. the crust was almost like a brownie because there was a little bit of crunch to it, but the inside was soft and super dense and chocoately. There was a great chocolate flavor and who doesn't love chocolate and raspberry?! This cake was really yummy and helped end the meal on a high note. The West End has a huge beer selection and is a great option when you are looking for a relaxing place to catch up with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment