Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Paradocx Vineyard

I love wine and have always wanted to visit a winery, but haven't had the chance to. Doing a wine trip to California wine country is definitely on my list of trips I want to take, but luckily for me I finally made it to my first vineyard thanks to my wonderful sister! Where did we go?...a fun little place called Paradocx Vineyard in Pennsylvania. This wine was created by two pairs of doctors, hence the playful name for the wine. This laid back vineyard is settled in the rolling hill country and is a perfect place to relax, unwind, and enjoy a wonderful glass of wine.
So we sat down to embark on our first wine tasting experience. There were six different wines that we got to try - three whites, two reds, and a very special kind of wine. The first one was a Vidal Blanc which was full of floral and citrus notes. Next was the first of two different Chardonnays. The first one was a Haywagon Chardonnay. This wine was not oaked and was slightly more acidic than the first with lots of tropical fruit notes. The Old Stone Chardonnay was an aged in American oak and had more of the buttered popcorn and caramel notes. Any of the these would be perfect to enjoy by themselves, but also pairs well with lighter dishes or cream sauces.
The two reds that we sampled were made from grapes that I wasn't familiar with. The first was made from the Touriga grape. This wine had delicious notes of berry, plums, and red fruits. It wasn't very tannic which made it much easier to drink and much more enjoyable for me to drink. The Chambourcin wine had notes of prune and a subtle almond touch at the end. This also lacked the tannins that normally steer me away from red wines. Both of these were actually quite good just on their own. However, they have much deeper flavors and need to be paired with heavier meat dishes.
Last, but not least we were able to sample their famous "Twine", aka tea-infused wine. I know, I know it sounds weird, but so yummy! The flavor hints at sweet tea laced with peach and a touch of acidity. I admit that I would have never thought to combine tea and wine, but they created a very magical concoction. You can serve it at room temperature or over ice. It was so unique and addicting that I had to bring back a souvenir bottle. For my first visit to a winery, I had a lot of fun. I can't wait for my next visit and am so thankful that I got to try some great new wines! If you are ever up in the Chester County area of Pennsylvania, take some time to visit this great winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment