Sunday, June 23, 2013

Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers

There are nights when I just want a fresh, healthy, light but fulfilling dinner, but I can't say that I have tons of recipes for those. So I got really excited when I found this recipe for quinoa stuffed bell peppers from Nature Box. I can't say that I frequently have stuffed bell peppers, but I think this may become a go to dinner for me. You can do so much with it and they are beyond simple to make. This vegetarian version is made with quinoa, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro, cheddar cheese, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.
There are two directions to this recipe: mixing all the filling ingredients together and then fill and bake the peppers for 25-30 minutes at 350 in a parchment lined baking dish. The best part was how simple it was to make. The recipe calls for 6 bell peppers, but I only made 3 and froze the leftover filling. That way I can make more stuffed peppers or just eat the filling itself. If you are preparing and want to have some kind of protein in it, you can throw in some chicken, ground turkey or ground beef. These are easy to entertain with and are perfect for a summer dinner.

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup canned black, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
6 bell peppers, stemmed and seeded

Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients (except bell peppers) in a large bowl. Spoon filling into bell peppers and bake for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment